What to Know
- Nine construction workers were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning at a construction site on East 29th Street in Manhattan, FDNY says
- Fire officials said the CO came from a gas-powered generator running inside a confined space underground
- The workers were taken to local hospitals and are expected to be OK
Firefighter swarmed a midtown construction site to rescue and treat construction workers overcome by carbon monoxide Tuesday evening.
The FDNY said firefighters and paramedics were called to the construction site at 30 East 29th St. around 4:30 p.m. for a report of a construction worker feeling ill and dizzy.
When EMS responded, they found several sickened workers. The FDNY determined they'd been exposed to carbon monoxide as a gasoline-powered generator was running in a small, confined space. The generators were being used to power the store spaces while they were putting down concrete, according to FDNY Chief of Special Operations John Esposito.
A few of the workers were able to get out onto the street on their own; two had to be lifted in a high-angle rescue by FDNY, an operation captured on video by Chopper 4 over the scene.
Initial air monitor readings of carbon monoxide at the site showed 700 parts per million, the FDNY said. A normal reading in a home should be zero, while a reading of 10 parts per million is considered dangerous.
By around 6 p.m., FDNY was still recording readings of 350 parts per million.
The FDNY said gas-generated generators should never be used indoors in a confined space -- they must always be kept outside in well-ventilated areas.
Of the nine workers taken to hospitals, four were in serious condition and five had injuries considered minor. u