Elderly Couple Found Dead 2 Hours Before Power Went Back On

The cause was their generator, a source said.

An elderly New Jersey couple was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator, just hours before their electricity was restored following the freak October snowstorm that knocked out power to much of the state.

Robert Stephens, 84, and his wife, Susanna Stephens, 79, were discovered by a utility worker and a relative who had gone to check on the couple Thursday night, authorities said.

Their generator was found in the garage.

Hunterdon County Prosecutor Anthony Kearns III said the Stephenses appeared to be "a robust and healthy couple."

"Family kept in touch with them regularly and throughout the storm and power outage," he said.

Neighbor Georgia Hergenrother said it was a tragic loss.

"They were very nice people, good neighbors.... sad, very sad," she said.

Tens of thousands of New Jersey residents remained without power Friday morning after the storm.

Most utilities hoped to have service fully restored by Friday night.

A spokesman for Jersey Central Power & Light said the deaths were "a terribly unfortunate and tragic accident."

A number of tri-state residents have been sickened or killed by carbon monoxide in the week since the snowstorm.

One man died trying to keep warm by running a lawnmower.

Contact Us