Most of Central and Prospect parks will soon be virtually car-free, Mayor de Blasio announced Thursday.
The drives in the Manhattan and Brooklyn parks will now be devoted largely to recreation for the first time in more than a century, the mayor said.
Cars were previously banned in portions of Central Park the last two summers.
Its four transverse roads — which link the east and west sides of Manhattan — will remain open. They are sunken below park level.
De Blasio said the change will make the "great spaces" safer, healthier and more accessible to their millions of visitors.
The ban will be in place by early July.