Bronx Boy, 4, Dies After Drinking From Beer Can He Found on Way Home

Police investigating the death of a 4-year-old Bronx boy who became ill after playing in the park with friends Sunday are looking into whether he may have ingested rat poison before he died, law enforcement sources say. 

Juan Sanchez went to a neighborhood park with a group of children and his mother around 10:30 a.m. Sunday. On the way home, police say he stopped between the third and fourth floors of his Tinton Avenue building, picked up a can of beer and drank its contents.

Hours later, he got sick and was taken to the hospital, where he was placed in a medically induced coma. He was transferred to a different hospital and died the next day.

Police say there was no alcohol in the boy's bloodstream so they are investigating what was in the can of beer he drank in his apartment building. 

The medical examiner is conducting an autopsy Tuesday.
Contact Us