What to Know
- Ahmad Khan Rahimi is accused of planting bombs in New York and New Jersey that wounded 31 people last month
- The 28-year-old Afghan native was captured after a shootout with police in New Jersey two days after the bombings
- He has been hospitalized since he was shot multiple times in the gun battle
The man accused of setting off bombs in New Jersey and New York last month has been released from a New Jersey hospital and was transported to a hospital ward at a state prison, a senior law enforcement official told NBC 4 New York.
Ahmad Rahimi had been kept under guard at University Hospital in Newark since he was wounded in a Sept. 19 shootout with police in Linden. But he was moved to a hospital wing of a state penitentiary in Trenton on Tuesday afternoon, the official said.
It comes less than a week after Rahimi pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and weapons charges from his hospital bed in connection with the gun battle outside a bar in the northeastern New Jersey town.
He is also accused of detonating a pipe bomb along the route of a Marine Corps charity race in the New Jersey shore town of Seaside Park and a pressure cooker bomb in New York City on Sept. 17. No one was injured in the New Jersey blast, and 31 people were hurt in the New York blast. A second pressure cooker bomb near the first in New York did not explode.
Rahimi also faces federal charges in connection with the bombings, but he would have to be moved to New York before he can be arraigned on those charges. It's not clear when he would be transported to the Empire State.
Rahimi's public defenders have a policy of not commenting on cases.