Suspect in Custody in Neck Slash of Tourist, 29, on Crowded Brooklyn Train During Monday's Evening Rush: Police

Police say they are looking for a man who slashed a woman in the neck with a sharp object aboard a southbound A train. NYPD

A 32-year-old man with more than 50 prior arrests is in police custody for allegedly slashing a Swedish tourist on the neck with a sharp object as she rode a southbound A train in Brooklyn with her father at the height of Monday's evening rush, causing her to bleed profusely, authorities said.

Don Carter, whose dozens of prior arrests include at least nine for possession of a knife or blade, was arrested Tuesday in the attack a day earlier on 29-year-old tourist Katrina Stanisz aboard the stopped train at the Euclid Avenue and Pitken Avenue Station in East New York.

Police say charges are pending against him. It's not clear if he has a lawyer.

Stanisz, who lives in Stockholm, and her father were headed to John F. Kennedy International Airport to return to their native Sweden and were standing on the packed train, facing each other with their luggage between them, when the subway pulled into the Euclid Avenue station around 6:15 p.m. Monday, police said. A flood of passengers got off at the stop and several seats opened up, so Stanisz took the opportunity to take an open seat near her father.

Top News Photos: France Christmas Market Shooting Kills 2

As she moved to sit down, police say the suspect approached her from behind and slashed her on the neck. He then ran off the train and onto the platform. Police say Stanisz's father was about to give chase but his daughter called him back.

A woman on the train who appeared to be in her 50s rendered medical assistance to the bloodied Stanisz, and told the tourist and her father to get off at the next stop. Once they got to that stop, Grant Avenue, the Good Samaritan alerted MTA personnel and emergency responders were called to the scene, police said. Stanisz was taken to a hospital conscious and alert, treated and released.

Police say someone who recognized Carter from the surveillance images of the suspect released by police and called Crime Stoppers to report the tip. A witness identified him as the slasher in a photo array and police later matched one of the surveillance images to a previous arrest photo of Carter.

Carter was taken into custody shortly before noon Tuesday without incident. Police said he was still wearing the pants and shirts seen on the suspect in surveillance video from the subway station. No knife was recovered, and police planned to execute a search warrant at his home later Tuesday.

The victim is expected to fly back to Sweden from JFK in the evening after a line-up.