Timeline of Slain Brooklyn Boy's Disappearance - NBC New York

Timeline of Slain Brooklyn Boy's Disappearance



    Timeline of Slain Brooklyn Boy's Disappearance
    Police officers search the street.

    Leiby Kletzky, who would have turned 9 this month, went missing after leaving day camp in Brooklyn. His dismembered body was found less than 48 hours later in a suitcase in a Dumpster. Other remains were found in a freezer. Here is a rough timeline from when Leiby was first reported missing to when police found the crime scene.


    5:05 p.m.: Child leaves Yeshiva day camp

    5:05-5:40 p.m.: Three separate surveillance videos show the child walking alone along 44th to 18th avenues instead of turning down the street he was supposed to take to meet his parents. Police believe he was lost.

    5:40 p.m.: Another video shows Leiby getting into a car with the suspect, identified as 38-year-old Levi Aron.

    6:30 p.m.: The missing boy's mother calls Shomrim patrol, a private community group.

    8 p.m.: Shomrim notifies NYPD the boy is missing. Mobilization soon follows, with police checking some videos of nearby stores that are still open and calling hospital emergency rooms. They find a few videos of the boy standing alone at an intersection.

    VIDEO: Crime Scene Where Boy's Body Found

    [NY] Chopper Video: Aerial View Over Crime Scene Where Boy's Body Was Dumped
    NBC New York's helicopter provides an aerial view of the crime scene as investigators probe the murder of an 8-year-old boy who disappeared on his way home from camp.
    (Published Wednesday, July 13, 2011)


    Morning: Search for Leiby continues.

    Late Afternoon: Video surfaces of the boy and the suspect outside a dentist office near where the child was last seen.

    Evening: Police question a dentist who lives above the dentist office near where surveillance video captured the boy and the suspect. He says the suspect may be a patient of a dentist who lives in New Jersey.

    10:30 p.m.: Police track down the dentist in New Jersey. He says he did not see the suspect as a patient, but recalls him speaking to the receptionist about a past bill.


    Shortly after 12 a.m.: Police find the receptionist, who confirms the suspect did pay a bill.

    1:30 a.m.: Police return to the dentist's office, find the bill the suspect paid and learn his address and name from the paperwork.

    2 a.m.: Police go to the building where the suspect lives, based on the address from the office. The suspect's father is on the ground floor of the building and says his son is upstairs. Police go up to the third-floor attic apartment and find the door slightly ajar. Aron is home and they discover bloody knives and some human remains in the refrigerator.