Third Victim in NYC Restaurant Hammer Rampage Dies - NBC New York

Chief Investigative Reporter Jonathan Dienst on crime, corruption and terrorism.

Third Victim in NYC Restaurant Hammer Rampage Dies

The hammer-wielding suspect burst into Seaport Buffet last week, attacking the 60-year-old owner, a 34-year-old chef and a 50-year-old worker inside

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Suspect Arrested in Deadly NYC Hammer Attack

    The suspect in a Tuesday night hammer attack at a Brooklyn restaurant that left the chef dead and two others injured has been arrested, law enforcement sources say. Katherine Creag reports.

    (Published Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2019)

    What to Know

    • All three victims of a deadly hammer attack at a Brooklyn restaurant last week have died

    • A 60-year-old owner, a 34-year-old chef and a 50-year-old worker inside were attacked, police said

    • The suspect, 34-year-old Arthur Martunovich, is facing charges of murder, attempted murder and criminal possession of a weapon

    The third victim of a deadly hammer attack at a Brooklyn restaurant has died, according to police.

    The hammer-wielding suspect burst into Seaport Buffet last week, attacking the 60-year-old owner, a 34-year-old chef and a 50-year-old worker inside, police said. The chef, Fufai Pun of Brooklyn, died at the hospital, and the 60-year-old owner died a few days later. 

    The 50-year-old worker, identified by police as Tsz Pun, succumbed to his injuries Thursday morning, the NYPD said. 

    Brooklyn Borough President Eric L. Adams said in a statement, "Brooklyn has been united in prayer for the victimized employees of Seaport Buffet, and the greater Sheepshead Bay community, in the days following last week’s senseless attack. The tragic loss of Tsz Mat Pun, following the deaths of Fufai Pun and Kheong Ng-Thang, are a seismic blow for our entire borough."

    Suspect Questioned in Deadlly Hammer Attack in Buffet

    [NY] Suspect Questioned in Deadlly Hammer Attack in Buffet

    A 34-year-old man is being questioned about a violent hammer attack inside a Brooklyn buffet that killed a chef and wounded two others. Ida Siegal reports.

    (Published Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2019)

    A source said that the suspect, 34-year-old Arthur Martunovich, first encountered Latino workers inside the Sheepshead Bay restaurant on Emmons Avenue and allegedly told them, "I am not here for you."

    He went on to attack the three Asian men, claiming he was inspired by Chinese movies where women were allegedly mistreated, according to the source.

    The suspect, 34-year-old Arthur Martunovich, is facing charges of murder, attempted murder and criminal possession of a weapon. It wasn't clear if he had an attorney.

    A source said when Martunovich was being processed for arrest inside the police station Wednesday, he was taken the bathroom, where detectives uncuffed him. That's when he turned on the detectives, swinging at them and punching one of them in the eye. He allegedly scratched the second detective before being restrained and cuffed again.

    Both detectives were treated for their injuries.

    Martunovich was cuffed again and restrained with Velcro straps, and taken away for psychiatric evaluation, the source said.

    Witnesses described a frightening aftermath.

    "A couple of people, customers from the restaurant, came in here, and we let them in and they said a guy came in crazy with a hammer and started hammering certain people, random people," said Samantha Randazzo, the owner of Randazzo's Clam Bar next door.

    "The guy said he was just screaming crazy words, like, 'I'm killing everybody, world is hell,'" she said. "Just screaming crazy things."

    She said workers inside the clam bar locked their doors in fear.

    Witnesses said they saw the suspect running toward a garage behind the restaurant. An officer arrested him a few blocks away.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android