Suspect in Murder of Soccer Coach Left "Sorry" Note: Cops - NBC New York

Suspect in Murder of Soccer Coach Left "Sorry" Note: Cops

Slaying suspect Orlando Orea left behind a note before fleeing to Mexico, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said



    Suspect in Murder of Soccer Coach Left "Sorry" Note: Cops

    The suspect wanted in the brutal knifing of a popular youth soccer coach left a note saying he was "sorry" before fleeing to Mexico, the police commissioner said Thursday.

    The NYPD is working with local authorities and sending New York City officers to Mexico to track down suspect Orlando Orea who hopped a flight to Mexico after viciously stabbing 25-year-old Michael Jones, leaving him to die on 14th Street in what people theorize was a case of mistaken identity, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

    "It's a note that basically makes a statement that he is sorry," Kelly told reporters.

    Kelly said the manhunt for Orea was an international effort that incuded Interpol, the U.S. State Department, the Justice Department and Mexican authorities.

    Memorial for Murdered Youth Soccer Coach

    [NY] Memorial for Murdered Youth Soccer Coach
    Hundreds came out in White Plains to remember "Coach Mike," who was brutally stabbed to death near Union Square in what may have been a case of mistaken identity. Katherine Creag reports.
    (Published Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012)

    "We know the village he is from in Mexico,"  Kelly said.  "So hopefully we will be able to have the Mexican authorities locate him and take him into custody."

    Kelly updated reporters a day after hundreds of mourners packed the White Plains church to remember Jones, who worked as a soccer coach for the New York Red Bulls youth program.

    Jones -- known as "Coach Mike" to his players, "Jonesy" to his friends -- came to the United States from Liverpool, England five years ago to work with the Major League Soccer team'.
    He was attacked in Union Square at around 4:30 a.m. Sunday, and later died at Bellevue Hospital.
    "We're in disbelief," said David Jervis, the director of the Red Bulls Youth Program where Jones worked. "We loved him."
    Investigators now say they think Orea mistakenly thought Jones was a man he had a bar fight with earlier in the night. 
    The NYPD is working to indict Orea in New York, so they can ask the US State Department to have Mexican authorities arrest him and extradite him back to the United States.
    Jones, who lived in West Harrison, coached children aged four to 14, and many of his young players memorialized him Wednesday by wearing soccer jerseys with the number "6" on the back -- the number Jones wore as a kid playing in Liverpool.
    Christian Gonzalez, a coaching director with the Armonk United and Castleford Rovers, said Jones had aspirations to rise to the top of his the coaching field, and loved living in New York City.
    "We had big plans for him," he said.
    Cathryn Kaehr's young son first played for Jones as a four-year-old.
    "He thought of him as a protege," she said. "One day I can say he was discovered by the great Mike Jones."
    Jones' body is expected to be returned to his family in England.

    Suspect in Soccer Coach Stabbing Flees Country

    [NY] Suspect in Soccer Coach Stabbing Flees Country
    Law enforcement officials say 32-year-old Orlando Orea has grabbed a flight to Mexico. He's accused of fatally stabbing soccer coach Michael Jones in Union Square.
    (Published Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012)

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytime