Husband Dies, Wife Hospitalized in Apparent Carbon Monoxide Incident on Long Island: Police - NBC New York

Husband Dies, Wife Hospitalized in Apparent Carbon Monoxide Incident on Long Island: Police

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Man Killed by Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

    Police have identified the man killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in his home. Greg Cergol reports.

    (Published Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019)

    What to Know

    • An NY husband is dead, his wife hospitalized in an apparent case of carbon monoxide poisoning

    • Cops were called to the home on Scott Drive in Melville early Thursday after getting a report the couple was sick

    • 55-year-old Stephen Yancofski was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead; his wife remains hospitalized

    Homicide detectives are investigating the death of a man in a Suffolk County residence due to apparent carbon monoxide poisoning, police say.

    Cops were called to the residence on Scott Drive in Melville, Long Island, around 8:30 a.m. Thursday for a report a couple feeling ill.

    Stephen Yancofski, 55, a resident at the home, was pronounced dead at Plainview Hospital. His wife, Kyriaki Bouziotas, 59, was taken to a hospital. 

    It is suspected that the carbon monoxide was coming from a detached fitting on a heating exhaust vent inside their home, police say.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android