Father of 8 Killed, Woman Injured After Man Opens Fire on SUV in Brooklyn: NYPD - NBC New York

Father of 8 Killed, Woman Injured After Man Opens Fire on SUV in Brooklyn: NYPD



    Man Killed, Woman Wounded When Gunman Opens Fire on Their SUV: NYPD

    A man identified as 33-year-old Ernest Brown and a 22-year-old woman were shot by a gunman as they sat in an SUV in Brooklyn Tuesday morning. Police were combing a section of Brooklyn for the gunman. Tracie Strahan reports. (Published Tuesday, Aug. 2, 2016)

    What to Know

    • In Bedford-Stuyvesant, a man walked up to a man and woman sitting in an SUV and opened fire Tuesday morning

    • A 33-year-old man in the vehicle was shot multiple times and died at a hospital and a 22-year-old woman was injured

    • Police said the shooter took off down Halsey Street after the attack

    A young father of eight was killed and a woman was injured Tuesday morning after a gunman opened fire on them as they sat in a car in Brooklyn, police said. 

    The man and woman were in a dark SUV on Halsey Street, near Patchen Avenue, in Bedford-Stuyvesant when a man came up and shot at them just before 1 a.m., authorities say

    The shooter, who police described as a man in a blue hooded sweatshirt and gray sweatpants, then took off down Halsey Street.

    Ernest Brown, 33, was shot several times. He was taken to a hospital, but did not survive. 

    The 22-year-old woman who was with Brown was hit in her shoulder by a bullet. She was taken to Kings County Hospital and is expected to live.

    The mother of one of Brown's eight children was so distraught upon learning that he was killed that she had to be carried back to her vehicle in tears. 

    "He tried to do right. He lived by his kids. All he wanted was the best for his kids," she said. 

    Her father, Joe Jennings, said that Brown was shot last year. 

    "And just through the grace of God that he survived that," Jennings said. 

    Halsey Street was blocked off Tuesday morning, as detectives scoured the area near the SUV. Police tape was wrapped around a section of the street where the vehicle was double parked. A number of evidence markers were on the ground near the driver’s side door. Investigators were walking in and out of a nearby residence.

    No one had been arrested as of early Tuesday morning. Police said an investigation is ongoing.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytime