What to Know
Police believe multiple suspects are behind attacks on women near Prospect Park on July 12, July 2, June 26 and May 22
The women were walking alone at night when the suspects attacked them. They were all able to fight off the suspects or call for help
There have been no arrests in any of the four cases
A series of attacks in the area around Prospect Park are raising serious concerns and worries among residents.
All of the attacks were just a few blocks from the park and NYPD sources said Tuesday that they don’t believe they’re the work of one suspect.
The news is alarming to neighbors and visitors.
“I want to feel safe and secure, and it’s just very sad,” Flatbush resident Sharon Myrie said.
The most recent attack happened on July 12 on Park Place between Carlton and Vanderbilt avenues. Police say a woman was walking and talking on her cell phone when a man came up behind her, grabbed her and pusher her to the ground. He then tried to remove her underwear. She screamed and the man took off.
Just 10 days earlier, on July 2, there was another attack at Seventh Avenue and Garfield Place. Police released surveillance photos of the suspect’s face. The woman was able to fight him off.
On June 26, there was another assault in Windsor Terrace. Surveillance video captured the man lifting a woman’s dress and then pulling down her underwear. The video then shows him punching her after she fell to the ground. She fought back and the suspect ran away.
Christine Hulker said a friend emailed her to warn her about the attack in her neighborhood.
“Just to be careful when it’s dark out. And being alone in the park at dark,” Hulker said of the email.
On May 22 there was yet another attack, this one on Second Street between Seventh and Eighth avenues. A woman was walking when a man grabbed her, pushed her to the ground and tried to rape her. She yelled for help and fought him off. Police released a sketch of the suspect and a photo of a dark-colored Acura leaving the scene.
Police are trying to put an end to these crimes and to catch the men behind them.
“The guy will do it again, and he’ll be caught!” Park Slope resident Peter Dube said.
Police had initially said that they had two persons of interest who they were looking for in the Windsor Terrace case but so far there haven’t been any arrests in that attack, nor in the other three.
The NYPD asks anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS.