'It Was a Very Sad Moment:' Laura Garza's Family - NBC New York

'It Was a Very Sad Moment:' Laura Garza's Family



    'It Was a Very Sad Moment:' Laura Garza's Family
    A year after she disappeared, there's still no word on the whereabouts of 25-year-old Laura Garza.

    The family of Laura Garza say they were devastated to finally learn her fate -- more than 16 months after the aspiring dancer from Texas disappeared after leaving a Manhattan nightclub with a registered sex offender.

    Remains found two weeks ago in Pennsylvania were positively identified through DNA testing as those of 25-year-old Laura Garza of Brooklyn. She had moved to New York from McAllen, Texas, five months before she disappeared after a night at a Chelsea club in December, 2008.

    Today, a prosecutor in Lackawanna County, Penn. said New York will have jurisdiction in the case -- and it seems that Garza was not killed in Pennsylvania.

    A group of ATV riders found the remains April 11 in Mount Cobb, Pa., several miles outside of Scranton, said Capt. Wayne Olson of the New York State Police.

    Remains of Missing Brooklyn Woman Found in Penn.

    [NY] Remains of Missing Brooklyn Woman Found in Penn.
    The skeletal remains of 25-year-old Laura Garza have been identified on land near Scranton, Pennsylvania.
    (Published Wednesday, April 28, 2010)

    A watch described as one Garza was wearing when she disappeared was found on the remains, Olson said. Forensic experts will be brought in to examine the skeleton and determine how Garza died, he said.

    Members of Garza's family spoke withe the Today Show this morning.  Her brother, Nick Garza said "the investigator called me and gave me the bad news. I didn't know what to do," he said.

    "My mother she was in my house at that time.  I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to be alone to give her the bad news that I had received."


    Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

    Her brother said they were worried that her whereabouts would never be known, but "we never stopped thinking we would find her," he said.

    "It was a very sad moment for us, at that time," said cousin, Isela Villalobos of McAllen, Texas. She explained that Laura's mother was expecting for her daughter to come in the door until that dream was shattered Friday afternoon, and had not turned off her phone in 16 months, hoping every night to get a phone call from Laura.

    "All we do is think of Laura. We have moments when we cry. We have moments when we laugh," Villalobos said in a phone interview from her restaurant in Mission, Texas. "Nothing has changed in her home in McAllen."

    Garza left the bar on Dec. 3, 2008, with registered sex offender Michael Mele. He has been investigated but not charged in the case.


    "He is still a suspect in the disappearance of Laura Garza," said Captain Olson. "He has a rather checkered past.  He's been investigated for a number of alleged sex offenses against women."

    Mele is being held at Midstate state prison in Marcy, N.Y., for an unrelated offense. A board denied him parole in March, citing his "history of sexually deviant behavior."

    At the parole board hearing, Mele said such behavior was a thing of the past.

    "I don't want it to be part of my identity," Mele said, according to a transcript from the Division of Parole. "I don't want it to be part of who I am. I want to move forward."

    Surveillance cameras at the Manhattan nightspot Marquee caught Garza leaving with Mele pre-dawn. They were also seen a couple of hours later in Newburgh, a few miles from Mele's home, driving in his Infiniti SUV.

    Mele had several sex-offense convictions in Rockland County, most involving approaching women while masturbating, and he was wanted in New Jersey for similar crimes. He had been sentenced to six years' probation and police quickly locked him up for violating the terms of that parole — he admitted drinking, he had not attended sex-offender treatment and he had not reported to his probation officer.

    He was later charged with possession of stolen credit cards — not Garza's — and with failing to notify a sex offender registry when he moved to Wallkill.

    "We certainly hope her family can move on with the grieving process," said Craig Brown, one of Mele's attorneys.

    "The NYPD had indicated that Michael Mele, from the beginning, was a person of interest to the exclusion of all others. Having such tunnel vision in any case is not the most effective way to investigate crimes," Brown said.

    Mele refused to talk about Garza as he became the focus of the investigation. A body check of him revealed scratches and a possible bite mark. At his apartment, police found patches of carpet that had been cut away. They searched the SUV and carried away bags of evidence for testing.

    But there was no sign of Garza, who had moved to New York City with dreams of making it as a dancer. Hope that Garza would be found alive eventually evaporated.

    Officers searched the apartment complex and the woods and fields around it, septic systems and trash bins, and then started beating the bushes along the interstate highway. Then, as many as 200 firefighters, police officers and volunteers spent days searching various locations in Orange and Sullivan counties in upstate New York.

    Several women who had past encounters with Mele came forward, but police said they added background rather than major leads. Garza's brothers, Ivan and Nicolas, came east from Texas and posted "missing" signs with their sister's picture. When the search reached the one-month mark, they held a vigil for her in Manhattan.

    Garza will be buried in Texas. "She will be coming home," her cousin said.