I-Team: More Audio Recordings Raise Questions of How Many Bolts Broke Apart on Cuomo Bridge - NBC New York

I-Team: More Audio Recordings Raise Questions of How Many Bolts Broke Apart on Cuomo Bridge

"It’s a major defect that does not normally occur," one ironworker foreman is heard saying in one audio recording of the new Mario Cuomo Bridge

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Questions Persist Over Broken Bolts on Cuomo Bridge

    A follow-up to report of allegations by a whistleblower that there was a cover-up of broken bolts while the new Cuomo bridge was being built. Jonathan Dienst reports.

    (Published Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2018)

    A handful of supervisors were secretly replacing broken bolts on the new Mario Cuomo Bridge during the overnight hours to try to hide the problem, according to former safety inspector turned whistleblower.

    Workers were even replacing broken bolts on sections of the bridge that had already been certified as safe, according to transcripts of recordings made by that whistleblower of one supervisor.

    The whistleblower asks in one recording: “That’s why you’re coming in at 4:30 in the morning and replacing bolts.”

    Engineer: “Yeah.”

    Whistleblower Alleges Cover-Up Involving Cuomo Bridge

    [NY] Whistleblower Alleges Cover-Up Involving Cuomo Bridge

    Dozens of steel bolts that are used to hold together the new Mario M. Cuomo Bridge broke apart during construction, and there are allegations some leading workers tried to cover up the potential problem, the News 4 I-Team has learned. Jonathan Dienst reports.

    (Published Saturday, Dec. 15, 2018)

    Whistelblower: “…going across the river and doing this stuff at night?”

    Engineer:”Yep. Yeah. Yep.”

    Whistleblower: ”…Outside of them because you don’t want them knowing?”

    Engineer: “Exactly.”

    The News 4 I-Team was first to report at least 60 bolts are already to known to have failed out of more than 1 million on the Cuomo Bridge, formerly known as the Tappan Zee. It's still not known how many failing bolts were secretly replaced and discarded during construction.

    Some experts are now asking how many more of the bridge’s one million bolts might be at risk of failure in the future. 

    The Fallout and the Fix Amid Cuomo Bridge Concerns

    [NY] The Fallout and the Fix Amid Cuomo Bridge Concerns

    There is a firestorm of political controversy surrounding the new Mario Gov. Cuomo Bridge. Checkey Beckford reports.

    (Published Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2018)

    Thomas Eagar, an engineering expert at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said, “The fact is once you start seeing broken bolts – there has got to be a reason. And you want to know the reason why.”

    Eagar reviewed the documents obtained by the I-Team relating to bolt failures and the alleged cover-up. He said more data is needed but there does not appear to be a safety concern. However, the corruption allegations will likely carry a cost years into the future.

    “Your structure is not going to fail. It is going to have much greater inspection costs over the next 30 years – and got to look if there are failing bolts in subsequent years,” Eagar said.

    A New York State Thruway Authority has said the bridge is safe and that ongoing testing has not uncovered any hydrogen embrittlement problem or other design flaw. The bridge builder – Tappan Zee Constructors – said it is cooperating with the attorney general’s investigation and also said the 1 million bolts on the bridge are secure.

    The Mario Cuomo Bridge opened with great fanfare by Governor Andrew Cuomo, but was closed for a short time amid fears the old structure could collapse into sections of the new crossing. The bolt issue is unrelated, as breaking bolts began surfacing as early as 2016.

    Attorney General Barbara Underwood's investigation into corruption allegations is ongoing, as is a search to see if there might be any bigger problem on that bridge with the bolts that hold it together.

    Gov Faces Blowback Over Mario Cuomo Bridge Opening

    [NY] Gov Faces Blowback Over Mario Cuomo Bridge Opening

    The new span of the Mario Cuomo bridge is expected to open after collapse fears over the old Tappan Zee put that on hold. Now there's some new revelations surfacing accusing the Cuomo administration of rushing the bridge opening ahead of the gubernatorial primary. Melissa Russo reports.

    (Published Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2018)

    “Ninety-percent of the time these things are tracked down and found not to be the big problem someone thought in the beginning. Ten percent of the time it might end up being a big problem and then it really gets into who is the one who didn’t pay attention to what was going on,” Eagar said.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytime