Lethal Carbon Monoxide Levels Found After NY Man Can't Wake Up Family; 6 Kids Among 11 Hospitalized - NBC New York

Lethal Carbon Monoxide Levels Found After NY Man Can't Wake Up Family; 6 Kids Among 11 Hospitalized

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    11 Sick From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Yonkers

    Nearly a dozen people were hospitalized, including a toddler and five other children, after becoming sickened in a two-family Westchester County home where lethal levels of carbon monoxide were found, authorities say. Jamie Roth reports.

    (Published Friday, April 19, 2019)

    What to Know

    • Nearly a dozen people were hospitalized after becoming sickened in a carbon monoxide incident in Yonkers, authorities say

    • Several unconscious people were found in an apartment on Coyle Place around 8:22 a.m. Friday; they were hospitalized, police say

    • The building was evacuated and inspectors were called to investigate the incident, according to police

    Nearly a dozen people were hospitalized, including a toddler and five other children, after becoming sickened in a two-family Westchester County home where lethal levels of carbon monoxide were found, authorities say.

    Several unconscious people were found in the two-story house on Coyle Place around 8:20 a.m. Friday, according to Yonkers police.

    A man who lives at the house came home from working the overnight shift and couldn't wake up his family, then called police, a fire official says. 

    The victims, who range from 1 to 40 years old, appeared to be suffering from various degrees of carbon monoxide poisoning; some were vomiting and had red complexions, a symptom of inhaling too much of the gas. They were being treated at area hospitals, authorities say. Everyone is expected to survive; they were put in hyberbaric chambers to give them enhanced oxygen supply. 

    11 Sickened in NY Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Incident

    [NY] 11 Sickened in NY Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Incident

    Nearly a dozen people were hospitalized, including a toddler, after becoming sickened in a Westchester County apartment where lethal levels of carbon monoxide were found, authorities say. Jamie Roth reports.

    (Published Friday, April 19, 2019)

    "Carbon Monoxide upon our arrival was 10 times over what would be lethal over several hours," Yonkers Fire Assistant Chief Thomas Fitzpatrick said. 

    The building was evacuated and Con Ed turned off the gas and electric, authorities say. Images from the scene showed a major emergency presence and windows of the house wide open to help it ventilate. 

    Although the investigation is ongoing, Yonkers fire officials say the leak most likely was caused by a malfunctioning boiler.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android