Firefighters were battling a blaze that engulfed a house under construction and spread to adjacent homes in Queens, officials said.
The fire started at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday in an unoccupied building under construction on 112th Street in Flushing, according to FDNY Chief Brendan McSweeny. The structure was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
The fire spread to two neighboring homes and caused significant damage, McSweeny told NBC 4 New York. One of the homes was occupied, but everyone inside managed to escape unharmed, he said.
The other home was unoccupied.
A witness reported hearing an explosion and then seeing a ball of flame.
Firefighters said there was no indication of a gas leak, but stressed they were still looking for the cause.