Murder Charge for Man Accused of Torching Woman - NBC New York

Murder Charge for Man Accused of Torching Woman

Jerome Isaac was arrested Sunday.



    Man Charged in Deadly Elevator Torching

    The man accused of attacking a 73-year-old woman with a Molotov cocktail and setting her on fire inside an elevator is facing charges of murder. John Noel reports. (Published Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015)

    The man suspected of dousing a 73-year-old woman with gasoline and then setting her on fire inside her Brooklyn apartment building elevator has been charged with murder.

    Jerome Isaac, of Brooklyn, was indicted Friday on a charge of first-degree murder in the death of 73-year-old Deloris Gillespie. He was not in court when a prosecutor informed a judge of the formal charges.

    Outside court, defense attorney Howard Tanner told reporters that the murder indictment was expected. He said he was in touch with his client and would "evaluate all possible defenses" but declined to elaborate.

    Isaac was arrested Sunday on charges he killed Gillespie in a dispute over money. A security camera captured the horrific scene that left Isaac's face badly burned.

    Man Arrested in Elevator Torching

    [NY] Man Arrested in Elevator Torching
    Jerome Isaac of Brooklyn was charged Sunday with dousing a 73-year-old woman in flammable liquid and tossing a Molotov cocktail on her in an elevator, police said. Isaac told police he set her on fire because he was angry that she owed him $2,000, authorities said. Jonathan Vigliotti reports. Read full story here.
    (Published Monday, Dec. 19, 2011)

    Gillespie was ambushed in the elevator of her Brooklyn apartment building on Saturday afternoon, Browne said. The suspect had been waiting for her when the elevator doors opened to the fifth floor of her building in Prospect Heights, police said.

    "It was apparent he knew she was on the elevator," NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said.

    After setting Gillespie ablaze, Isaac went to his apartment building just blocks away and set a fire there, Browne said. He then hid on a roof before turning himself in to police, Browne said.