Dozens Homeless Following Massive Fires in NJ, NY - NBC New York

Dozens Homeless Following Massive Fires in NJ, NY

No serious injuries reported in either fire



    Man Jumps from Second Floor to Escape Fire

    More than 100 people were evacuated after an apartment in Perth Amboy caught on fire. One man was so desperate to escape, he jumped from a window. (Published Monday, Dec. 20, 2010)

    More than 100 people were displaced from their Perth Amboy apartment complex early Monday after a massive blaze ripped through the building.

    Firefighters were still pouring water on hotspots more than 12 hours after the fire began at Harbortown Terrace complex at about 6:30 p.m. Sunday.      

    Broadcast reports showed several people jumping from windows to safety. Thankfully, no one was seriously injured.      

    Residents were left without a home just days before Christmas and New Year's, and in the midst of a bitter cold spell on the East Coast.

    Firefighters Battle Massive Westchester Blaze

    [NY] Firefighters Battle Massive Westchester Blaze
    Chopper 4 captures the scene as firefighters struggle to contain a blaze in Westchester that displaced more than a dozen individuals.
    (Published Monday, Dec. 20, 2010)

    Michelle Agyemang, a resident of the building, said she had just gone Christmas shopping the day before.  Many lost everything they owned.

    "Trust in God for the next step and take it one day at a time," said Denise Kelly a fire victim with four children, who fled with nothing more than the clothes on their backs.

    Now, donations are being accepted by Perth Amboy's social services for people hoping to give clothes, shoes, food and household items to fire victims.  Money is being accepted by the Red Cross.

    "We are working with the management company to get these people placed in the next few days," explained Wilda Diaz, mayor of Perth Amboy.

    Meantime, Monday, more than a dozen residents of a Westcheter building are now homeless after a massive blaze. 

    More than two hours after the blaze broke out, authorities struggled to prevent the fire from consuming adjacent buildings as flames leapt through the roof of the structure on Second Avenue in Mount Vernon.

    All hands were called to assist in the effort, which was hampered by stiff winds and bitter cold. The fire started sometime after 6 a.m. and was out by 8:45 a.m., authorities said. No injuries were reported.

    The cause of the fire wasn't immediately known. It started on the top floor of the three-story building.