Faulty electrical wiring sparked the enormous fire that tore through a Brooklyn apartment building Monday, killing two people, fire marshals said.
Monday's blaze at the Richardson Street apartment, near McCarren Park in Williamsburg, was deemed accidental, according to the FDNY's fire investigation bureau.
Authorities say the fire sparked in the building's basement just before 2 a.m. before tearing through the rest of the structure. Witnesses reported hearing a blast, and FDNY officials said Monday that towering flames could be seen from miles away.
The fire enveloped the structure's three floors and spread to an adjoining tenement building. About 200 firefighters worked for hours to knock down the flames.
One woman and one man both died in the fire; their identities haven't yet been released.
Fire officials say two firefighters suffered minor injuries but didn't need hospitalization.