New York City Bans Cars From Most of Central, Prospect Parks - NBC New York

New York City Bans Cars From Most of Central, Prospect Parks

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    New York City Bans Cars From Most of Central, Prospect Parks

    Most of Central and Prospect parks will soon be virtually car-free, Mayor de Blasio announced Thursday. Katherine Creag has more. (Published Thursday, June 18, 2015)

    Most of Central and Prospect parks will soon be virtually car-free, Mayor de Blasio announced Thursday.

    The drives in the Manhattan and Brooklyn parks will now be devoted largely to recreation for the first time in more than a century, the mayor said.

    Cars were previously banned in portions of Central Park the last two summers.

    Its four transverse roads — which link the east and west sides of Manhattan — will remain open. They are sunken below park level.

    De Blasio said the change will make the "great spaces" safer, healthier and more accessible to their millions of visitors.

    The ban will be in place by early July.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android