New Questions Raised in DSK Case as Maid's Credibility Brought into Question - NBC New York

New Questions Raised in DSK Case as Maid's Credibility Brought into Question



    RAW VIDEO: DSK Leaves Home, Arrives at Court

    See raw video of Dominique Strauss-Kahn leaving the Tribeca apartment where he was under house arrest and, shortly thereafter, arriving at court. A judge agreed to release DSK on his own recognizance amid revelations that his accuser may have credibility problems. (Published Friday, July 1, 2011)

    The case against Dominique Strauss-Kahn is on unsteady ground, as investigators have found significant holes in the credibility of the housekeeper who accused the French diplomat of sexual assault in May, sources familiar with the case tell NBC New York.

    As a result of the credibility problems, defense lawyers plan to ask for Strauss-Kahn's bail to be reduced, requesting that he be released on his own recognizance, and prosecutors have agreed to that in concept. He is set to appear in court Friday.

    Prosecutors are considering agreeing to reduced bail conditions, but the Manhattan District Attorney's office is not ready to dismiss charges, a source said. The hearing Friday is expected just to deal with bail issues; what to do about the charges overall will be dealt with going forward.

    The accusations against Strauss-Kahn have reverberated internationally since the alleged incident; he was once a likely top French presidential contender, and has since resigned his post as head of the International Monetary Fund.

    VIDEO: Strauss-Kahn Arrives at Luxury Home

    [NY] NBC EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Strauss-Kahn Arrives at Luxury Home
    New York Live got a peek at the luxury home where Dominique Strauss-Kahn is now spending his home confinement. And NBC New York was there when he arrived Wednesday night.
    (Published Thursday, May 26, 2011)

    One source tells NBC New York that the maid, who is Guinean, was dishonest about a past claim of rape and “lied extensively" an on application for asylum.

    While recounting her previous rape story to those prosecutors, the maid did so quite believably, the source said. "She was crying and very emotional during that telling of what she said had happened."

    When prosecutors again questioned the woman, she admitted "she lied to them, and on the application about the whole rape claim," the source said.

    Though this claim isn't directly related to her allegations against Strauss-Kahn, the woman's lack of truthfulness puts a significant dent in her credibility, and, by proxy, the case against Strauss-Kahn.

    Questions are also being raised about whether the woman had been truthful about her background with law enforcement authorities, the source said. Another source says she may have links to possible criminal suspects.

    Sources also confirm that the maid spoke by phone on a recorded call with an incarcerated man on the day of the alleged assault, and discussed the possible benefits of pursuing charges.

    The man was serving time for drug possession, and was one of several people who had made numerous cash deposits to the maid's bank accounts in several states, according to the New York Times.

    Her lawyer, Ken Thompson, did not return repeated calls seeking comment. NYPD spokesman Paul Browne and the Manhattan DA's spokeswoman Erin Duggan would not comment.

    The Manhattan District Attorney's office said Strauss-Kahn will appear Friday at 11:30 a.m., but refused to give details.

    Strauss-Khan remains on home confinement in a $50,000-a-month Tribeca townhouse. He denies charges he attempted to rape the maid in his suite at the Sofitel Hotel in May.

    Defense lawyers have said there was no "forcible" encounter. DNA evidence found on the maid's shirt did match a sample from Strauss-Kahn.

    The terms of his house arrest, since his release from Rikers Island on May 20, allow him to leave the residence for one weekly religious observance, medical appointments, meetings with lawyers and court appearances.

    Prosecutors must be notified at least six hours before he goes anywhere. He also must wear an electronic monitoring device and live under video surveillance.

    Read a timeline of the case here.