What to Know
The chocolate products were found to contain milk, which wasn't listed as an ingredient and can cause life-threatening allergic reactions
Both packaged chocolate, coffee beans and almonds and items sold in self-service bins are affected by the recall
No illnesses or reactions have been reported, and First Source says it is issuing the recall out of an abundance of caution
A New York-based company is recalling a bunch of chocolate products, most of which were sold at Wegmans stores in nearly two dozen states, because they contain milk not declared on the list of ingredients, which could be extremely dangerous, even life-threatening, to people allergic to it.
First Source announced the voluntary recall Monday. Both packaged chocolate, coffee beans and almonds and items sold in self-service bins are affected by the recall.
The following 10 packaged items are affected:
- Wegmans Dark Chocolate Almonds 23oz tub
- Wegmans Dark Chocolate Almonds 11.5oz tub
- Wegmans Dark Chocolate Almonds with Sea Salt and Turbinado Sugar 12oz tub
- Wegmans Dark Chocolate Cherry-Infused Cranberries 12oz tub
- Wegmans Dark Chocolate Strawberries 13.5oz tub
- Alpine Valley Dark Chocolate Almonds 11.5oz tub
- Circle K Favorites Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds 3.25oz bag
- Tops Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds 11.5oz tub
- Tops Dark Chocolate Coffee Beans 12oz tub
- 7 Select Dark Chocolate Turbinado Almonds with Sea Salt 2.25oz bag
Those were sold in 23 states including New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, California, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Texas, Vermont and Virginia from Jan. 1, 2016, to the present.
The following products sold in bulk self-service bins at grocery stores between Jan. 1, 2016, and Oct. 30, 2017, are also affected:
- 15 LBS Dark Chocolate Peanuts distributed to Wegmans Food Markets, Dryden Food Market, New Brighton Food Land, Punxsutawney Country Market, and Trumansburg Shur Save,
- 20 LBS Dark Chocolate Almonds to Wegmans Food Markets, Giant Food Store, Martin’s Food Market, and Stop N Shop
- 25 LBS Dark Chocolate Coffee Beans Giant Food Store, Giant Food Mart, Martin’s Food Market, Wegmans Food Market, Dryden Food Market, Orchard Fresh, Stop N Shop, and Punxsutawney Country Market
Those products were distributed in New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia.
No illnesses or reactions have been reported, and First Source says it is issuing the recall out of an abundance of caution. It found out about the issue after a supplier issued its own recall because of the milk allergen. Anyone with questions can call First Source at 1-716-389-0200.