Bucket-Death Sitter Was Passed Out on Nyquil: Report - NBC New York

Bucket-Death Sitter Was Passed Out on Nyquil: Report

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Meeting Veterans’ Special Needs in Hospice
    WNBC
    Tragedy shook a Queens neighborhood when a baby drowned in a mop bucket at an informal day-care center.

    The babysitter arrested after an infant drowned in a mop bucket and died in her care was passed out on Nyquil, according to a published report.

    Kristal Khan took the cold medicine early Monday morning on a day when she was supposed to be watching 11-month-old James Farrior, The New York Post reported.

    The child fell into the bucket in the informal day-care center at Khan's home in Ozone Park. Police were called to the scene Monday morning and rushed the boy to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

    At one point, Khan, 28, awoke, then fell back asleep after not seeing the boy in the room, officials told the paper. She woke up again a short time later and found the boy in the bucket, which she had filled the previous night.

    "The very fact that she was on (Nyquil) is ridiculous," James's dad, James Farrior Jr., told the Post.

    Khan was arrested Monday and charged with endangering the welfare of a child, and was to have been arraigned last night.

    "I want her to go to jail for what she did," the boy's mother, Chrisann Josiah, told the Post. "She was supposed to be watching my child."

    The boy's grandmother told the paper that after the tragedy, Khan was "so blase and nonchalant, it's sickening."