NY Man Admits to Violent Three-State Crime Spree: Prosecutors - NBC New York

Chief Investigative Reporter Jonathan Dienst on crime, corruption and terrorism.

NY Man Admits to Violent Three-State Crime Spree: Prosecutors



    Suspect Crashes into Cop Cars on Both Sides of George Washington Bridge

    A kidnapping suspect in a white truck led police on a wild chase across the George Washington Bridge Friday afternoon, crashing into Port Authority police cars on both sides of the span before being apprehended, authorities said. Sheldon Dutes reports. (Published Friday, June 6, 2014)

    A Bronx man has admitted to a three-state crime spree from Pennsylvania to New York that ended when he crashed near the George Washington Bridge, prosecutors say. 

    Luis Figueroa, 37, pleaded guilty Thursday to weapons, assault, kidnapping and arson charges, according to prosecutors. Figueroa was arrested following the mayhem back in 2014.

    Authorities say Figueroa abducted a woman in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, on June 6, 2014, after striking her in the head with a shotgun. They say he then drove to Kittatinny Point Visitor Center in Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area in New Jersey, with the victim in the car, to ditch the gun. While he was disposing of his shotgun in a wooded area, authorities said, the victim was able to drive away. 

    After finding the victim had driven away, Figueroa is accused of attacking a national park employee, ramming the employee's head into a door and stealing the worker's red minivan.

    Authorities said he drove the minivan to Paterson, New Jersey, where he torched a used-car dealership that was operated by a person who leased a property to Figueroa. Figueroa was given notice to evict the property several days before his alleged crime spree.

    Figueroa was also set on fire, but he was able to put it out himself using a hose and then fled in a white SUV, authorities said.  

    After fleeing the scene, authorities say Figueroa was seen by police officers as he drove on the George Washington Bridge. He allegedly led the officers on a high-speed chase on the bridge, hitting several police vehicles. 

    Figueroa attempted to flee but was taken into custody by officers, according to authorities.

    Prosecutors say under the plea agreement, he could get 26 years in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for July 19. 

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android