Benjamin Berkowitz

Girl Playing With Lighter Catches Fire at Brooklyn School: Source

A 9-year-old girl appears to have accidentally set herself on fire in the bathroom of a Brooklyn School on Wednesday afternoon, according to a law enforcement source with direct involvement on the case.

The source says the girl was playing with a lighter in the bathroom of the Excellence Girls Charter School at Monroe Street and Ralph Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant at the time. At some point, her clothes caught fire.

School staff rushed to help her put out the flames as soon as possible. 

She was taken to the hospital with severe burns from the waist up. Doctors were treating her for second- and third-degree burns to her upper body, the source says. Her condition was not immediately available.

Police remained on the scene after the student was rushed to the hospital. No other students were hurt.

Contact Us