3 Dead, 2 Hospitalized After Police Chase Ends in Crash on Long Island: Police

A 74-year-old man, his 71-year-old wife and a 19-year-old were pronounced dead at the scene, police said

What to Know

  • Three people died and two others were injured after a police chase ended in a crash on Long Island, authorities said
  • The chase started after an officer spotted a 17-year-old driving a car that had been reported stolen, police said
  • A 74-year-old driver and his 71-year-old wife were killed when the 17-year-old hit their car. A 16-year-old passenger also died

A teenager in a stolen car drove away from police until he crashed with another vehicle, killing a couple in that car and one of his passengers, his half brother, police said Sunday. 

The couple that died in the Saturday night crash in Yaphank, Jerome and Randee Weingarten, was turning into their gated community after a Saturday night out when they were struck, police said. 

An officer spotted a Nissan Rogue that had been reported stolen after its driver failed to stop at a stop sign on Main Street in Yaphank around 11:45 p.m. Saturday, Suffolk County police said.

The officer tried to pull the driver over, but the driver, 17-year-old Nahriek Belford, of Bellport, refused to stop, according to police.

The officer called for backup and started following Belford, police said.

Belford was driving west on Route 25 when he hit a Honda CRV that was trying to make a left turn onto Birchwood Park Drive, according to police.

The Weingartens, ages 74 and 71, were pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Belford’s half-brother Angelo Belford, 19, was also pronounced dead, police said.

Nahriek Belford and another passenger in the Nissan, a 16-year-old boy, were hospitalized with serious but non-life threatening injuries, police said.

Belford has been charged with one count of reckless endangerment but is expected to face additional charges, according to police.

His attorney information wasn’t immediately available.

Police said the pursuit lasted for around five miles, but said the speed at which the vehicles were traveling hadn't been determined. 

Contact Us