Three children were taken to a hospital in critical condition after a fire broke out at a multi-family home in the Bronx Monday, fire officials said.
A call about the blaze on Burke Avenue came in shortly after 9 a.m. Officials say the fire apparently started on the second floor; about 70 FDNY members responded. The flames were doused within about an hour.
Photos posted by the FDNY on Twitter once the fire was out showed the top of the building completely charred by flames.
Police say the three injured sisters — a 6-year-old, a 3-year-old and a 16-month-old — suffered smoke inhalation but are expected to survive. The children were left home alone at the time of the fire, and FDNY sources said it appeared they had been asleep at the time.
Police sources later said that the mother, 33-year-old Remi Latei, had been taken into police custody at Jacobi Hospital, where her children were listed in critical but stable condition. It was not immediately clear what charges she would face, and ACS said it was investigating the matter as well.
The fire department said that the blaze was accidental, after wiring in the wall sparked the electrical fire. Smoke alarms were in the home, but were not working.