2 Rescued From Burning Yonkers Home; Lithium Battery May Be Cause: Firefighters - NBC New York

2 Rescued From Burning Yonkers Home; Lithium Battery May Be Cause: Firefighters

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    2 Rescued From Burning Yonkers Home; Lithium Battery May Be Cause: Firefighters

    Firefighters rescued two people who were trapped in a burning house in Yonkers on Sunday morning, firefighters said. 

    A lithium battery from an electric bike may have sparked the blaze, however, the cause is still under investigation, Deputy Chief Thomas Fitzpatrick said. 

    Two people who were trapped at a basement window of the wood frame house on Bruce Avenue were pulled to safety, Fitzpatrick said. There was heavy smoke inside, he said. 

    Both people suffered from smoke inhalation and were brought to Jacobi Hospital, he said.

    Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire in the basement, he said. 


    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android