Report of Different Samsung Phone Model Exploding - NBC New York

Report of Different Samsung Phone Model Exploding

The user said she threw the phone away when she realized it had "swollen up" and smoke was coming out

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Breakfast of Champions
    Lee Jin-man, AP
    In this Oct. 27, 2016, file photo, a shareholder of Samsung Electronics arrives for the general meeting of shareholders in Seoul, South Korea.

    A Samsung phone user in France says her Galaxy J5 smartphone caught fire and exploded on Sunday. The model is different from the Galaxy Note 7 that has been recalled worldwide.

    Lamya Bouyirdane told The Associated Press on Monday that she noticed the phone was very hot after she asked her four-year-old son to pass it over during a family gathering at her home. She said she threw the phone away when she realized it had "swollen up" and smoke was coming out.

    "I panicked when I saw the smoke and I had the reflex to throw it away," said Bouyirdane, a mother of three in the southwestern French city of Pau.

    The phone then caught fire and the back blew off. Her partner quickly extinguished it.

    Do Not Eat Any Romaine Lettuce: Health Officials

    [NATL] Do Not Eat Any Romaine Lettuce: Health Officials

    Health officials in the U.S. and Canada are urging people to stay away from all romaine lettuce and products after 32 people in 11 states were sickened by an E. coli outbreak.

    (Published Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2018)

    Bouyirdane said she bought the phone new last June on a website offering discounts.

    The South Korean company recently recalled millions of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones globally because of a problem that caused the batteries to overheat and catch fire.

    William Stofega, a mobile analyst for IDC, said the incident in France was most likely an isolated one, noting that the phone has been on the market for several months now and this is the first report of a battery fire that he's aware of.

    "These reports tend to cluster," he said.

    He added that problems involving lithium-ion batteries used in not just smartphones, but also laptop computers, have been around for years and there's no easy fix for them. Manufacturing defects or even a small amount of damage can cause a short circuit, resulting in an overheated battery and potentially a fire.

    Samsung did not immediately respond to an email from the AP seeking comments following the latest incident.

    Judge Blocks Trump's Migrant Non-Port of Entry Asylum Ban

    [NATL] Judge Blocks Trump's Migrant Non-Port of Entry Asylum Ban

    An order from a federal judge overnight barred the Trump administration from blocking asylum requests from migrants who cross the U.S.-Mexico border illegally. This happens as a caravan criticized by President Donald Trump arrived in Tijuana, Mexico, across the border from San Diego. 

    (Published Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2018)