Read this and you'll look smart. You don't have to be intelligent to impress people -- you just have to fake it. Here's a daily list of fascinating articles that will wow your friends, surprise your co-workers and make you seem sharp at a cocktail party or over the lunch counter....
- A new study shows that job applicants with firm handshakes have a better chance of being hired. Those with weak handshakes were perceived by their potential employer as introverted, shy and neurotic.
- Scientists have decoded the DNA of a person with cancer and discovered a set of mutations that could have caused the disease. The approach to cancer research is a first that examines all the genes.
- Pollsters mostly got it right this election (eh, hem: New Hampshire) but as technology improves and fewer and fewer have land lines it will become more difficult to predict results accurately.
- The first tattoos date back to Paleolithic Japan -- but how did they eventually evolve into the trendy tramp stamp? Track the sad, journey of the tat here.
- It's hard to handicap when there are no horses to bet on. The credit crunch has clamped down on world-wide yearling sales -- with many wealthy potential buyers unable to hoof the bill even as race horse prices fall. The result: poorer quality racehorses.
- Researchers have found one of the key genetic differences between humans and chimps linked to cell differentiation and immune response.