Woman Sues BBQ Joint Over Flaming Bar Trick

A woman who got burned during a bar trick as "Great Balls of Fire" played on a jukebox is suing the owners of a Manhattan barbecue joint where it happened.

Lauren Sclafani says she underwent surgery and skin grafts from burns she suffered when a bar at Brother Jimmy's BBQ was doused in 151-proof rum and set on fire. She says the flames burned her face, hands and clothes.

The 31-year-old says, "I was just praying to make it stop."

Sclafani was treated March 29 burns at a nearby hospital. She is required to wear compression garments on her hands because of her injuries.

Brother Jimmy's BBQ spokesman Ron Berkowitz says that the eatery is a "fun, safe environment that people have come to know for 20 years."

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us