Berkeley-born designer Raquel Allegra is one of our favorite west coast talents to emerge in recent memory. Best known for her loosely-woven tops and dresses, Allegra's signature laid-back chic owes something to her California upbringing, and even more to her ability to find potential in the unlikeliest of materials (among her first designs were a series of shirts recycled from the LA County Prison System). A name to know for 2011, we were delighted to find that Allegra was packing plenty of California Cool in her handbag, including a PJ Harvey CD jacket, Hustler matches, and back-up silk bra.
1. Album book, PJ Harvey’s "Let England Shake": "This album is the soundtrack of my life right now. It’s on repeat in the studio and really keeping me inspired on the collection we’re working on."
2. Deborah Lippmann Nail Polish in “Fashion”: "Gifted to me by my dear friend Debbie Lippmann after we met on the set of Lady Gaga's Born this Way."
3. Sunglasses, Vintage Alain Mikli: "Can’t live without these!"
4. Nars, Dolce Vita Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
5. Raquel Allegra Leather Triangle Bra in Nude: "—just in case!"
6. Yves St.Laurent Tient Resist
7. Hustler refillable book of matches
8. Notepad & Pen: "I picked this up at a store called Merci in the Marais during Paris Fashion Week."
10. Leonard Cohen Poems - "A gift from Margo (photographer of this photo!)"
11. Comme Des Garcons - "Continental zip-around in white."
12. Chanel, Image Rose - "This is a tester from my Upper East Side aunt ... lifted from Barneys?"