It might be mid-November, but holiday parties (and the familiar dressing anxiety that comes with them) are right around the corner. Unsure whether to pile on the sequins or dust off the velvet jacket this year? We've recruited top-notch New York designers and stylists to share their holiday party pointers.
Nobody knows their way around sparkles and glitz like Naeem Khan, whose extravagantly embroidered gowns and cocktail dresses are precisely what you'd want to wear at some formal holiday occasion (or just lounging around your apartment -- why not?). Here, the designer weighs in on faux fur, jewelry, and tips for finding the perfect hostess gift.
1. Wear faux fur jackets and vests in all lengths and colors.
2. Don't be afraid to wear a faux fur vest throughout the party. A chic vest can dress up any holiday ensemble!
3. Wear embellished designs with beads and sequins to look impeccable at your holiday party, but don't wear a fully embellished dress, shoes and handbag all at once -- you may look like a Christmas ornament.
4. Play with texture. Mix and match faux furs, sequin dresses and lots of cuffs, necklaces and statement rings to be a stand out. Don't be afraid to wear statement jewelry alongside an embellished ensemble. Great jeweled accents can compliment a “wow” dress in the most beautiful way.
5. Always wear heels to finish a look, especially during dressier times like the holidays. Don't spoil an evening with shoes that detract from your party dress.
6. Invest in an important skirt that you can pair with a sweater and sexy shoe for your December parties. Don't wear anything that you’re not proud of: Clothing is a reflection of you, so feel good in what you wear.
7. Pair your dress with a special cropped jacket to make the look young and fun. Avoid conventional necklines and wear an off-the-shoulder top to be sexy in a more understated way.
8. Bring your host or hostess a nice holiday gift for their home. I love to decorate and appreciate when someone takes note of my personal style. Don't just look for house-warming gifts in conventional places -- think about who you’re buying for and come up with something unique.
9. Buy gorgeous fresh flowers to create your own personalized arrangements when having company over. Arranging flowers is like dressing up -- mix together your favorite flowers!
10. HSN has beautifully, well-made pieces if you don't want to invest a lot, such as my Timeless by Naeem Khan collection that work well for everyone. Don't worry about mixing and matching different brands and price points. The most well-dressed women all have secrets up their sleeves.