Atomische – Tom Giebel/Flickr Creative Commons 2.0
Watch a World Record attempt for Most Fortune Cookie Sayings Recited In Two Minutes.
The World Record Appreciation Society returns with a special Stand With Haiti charity fundraiser at Joe's Pub on Tuesday, February 16th. Hosted by the Universal Record Database (URDB.org) – which “The New Yorker” says "is to the Guinness World Records as Wikipedia is to the Encyclopaedia Britannica” – the evening will feature gaggles of record attempts in categories far more interesting than pretty much anything at the Olympics. Some highlights:
• Comedian Reggie Watts - Most Fortune Cookie Sayings Recited In Two Minutes Over A Live, Self-Generated Soundtrack
• Author A.J. Jacobs - Longest Hand Coo
• Mack Elder - Fastest Time To Name All “Star Trek” TV Episodes In Chronological Order (he currently holds the record for naming all nine "Star Trek" movies in chronological order: 10.31 seconds)
• Photographer Emily Wilson - Most Table Tennis Balls Served Into A Crowd In 30 Seconds
• Director Todd Lamb - Fastest Time To Vacuum One Pound Of Sugar
• And Author Ben Greenman will surprise the crowd with a World Record TBD
And if you have a special skill you’d like to master for posterity, there will be an open mic portion of the evening. Bear in mind records have recently been set for 'Most Cocktail Umbrellas Fit In Hair In One Minute' and 'Most Bananas Fit In A Pair Of Pants At Once' – in case you’re thinking of doing these holders one better.
World Record Appreciation Society’s Stand With Haiti Benefit
Tuesday, February 16 at PM
Joe’s Pub, 425 Lafayette Street; 212-539-8778
More information and tickets at joespub.com