Savory Pea Pancakes
Updated 12:46 PM EST, Wed, May 12, 2010
Pea Pancakes from Bill Telepan, chef at Telepan Restaurant
For the pancake:
4 ounces sugar snap peas-strings removed
1/2 cups shelled peas (or substitute frozen peas, thaw but do not cook)
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoons cream
1/4 cup flour
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon sugar (more if using frozen peas)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 450ºF.
2. Prepare an ice water bath. In lightly salted boiling water, add sugar snap peas and cook 2 minutes. Add to ice water until chilled, about 2 minutes. Strain and set aside.
3. If using fresh peas, add to same boiling water and cook until just tender, about 2 to 4 minutes depending on size. Transfer to ice water and chill for 2 minutes. Strain and set aside.
4. In a blender, purée sugar snaps with milk. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Mix in the cream and egg. Add flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Purée the shell peas in food processor and mix into batter.
5. Melt 1/2 teaspoon butter, in a medium ovenproof non-stick pan over high heat. Swirl butter around pan. Use 2 tablespoons of batter to form a pancake 3 inches in diameter. Cook two at a time. When the edges start to lightly brown, about 1 to 2 minutes place in oven for 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and return to oven until lightly brown, about 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Keep pancakes warm.
For the topping:
1 pound fresh peas, shell on (1 1/2 cups shelled)
1/2 pound sugar snap peas, strings removed and cut into 3 pieces on the bias (1 1/2 cups)
3 tablespoons butter
4 ounces vegetable stock or water (1/2 cup)
1 ounce pea leaves (difficult to find)
2 teaspoons finely sliced mint
1. To prepare the peas, cook for 30 seconds in lightly salted boiling water, remove and place in ice water to chill for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Place snap peas, butter, stock and a pinch of salt in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the peas and pea leaves and reduce to glaze, about 3 to 5 minutes. Salt to taste and spoon over pancakes. Sprinkle with sliced mint.
Have peas and sugar snaps cooked
Place blender ingredients in blender and puree
Add cream and eggs and mix in
Add dry ingredients
Start to cook pancakes
Then show next set of ingredients
Have them in another pan almost done
Start to plate and taste
First Published: May 7, 2010 4:54 PM EST