Chicken Pot Pie
Updated 3:30 PM EST, Thu, Mar 11, 2010
To view this video you must to have Flash Player 9.0 or later installed. Click to download the most recent version of Flash.
Chicken Pot Pie by Chef Jonnatan Leiva
Makes 5 servings
1 lb. roasted chicken meat
1/4 cup blanched, medium diced carrots
1/4 cup blanched, medium diced parsnips
5 cooked artichoke hearts
6 baby turnips, blanched and halved
1 qt. of Bechamel sauce (see below)
1/2 cup fine herbs (chives, chervil, tarragon)
5 sheets of store-bought puff pastry
5-6" Baking vessels
1 egg (for egg wash)
1/2 Lb. butter
3 1/2 - 4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 qt. cream
1/2 qt. milk
1 Bay leaf
Few sprigs of thyme
To make the Bechamel Sauce:
1. Place a stainless steel pot over medium heat and melt the butter.
2. Add flour gradually, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon. Once the butter and flour are incorporated together, add the cream, milk, bay leaf and thyme.
3. Reduce heat to low and let cook for 15 minutes, stirring constantly until it thickens to ribbon-like stage.
4. Add salt and peeper to taste.
For the Pot Pie:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut puff pastry to fit baking vessels. Set aside.
3. Divide all vegetables & chicken equally between the 5 baking vessels.
4. Using a ladle, spoon the bechamel sauce over each serving of vegetables, filling each baking vessel halfway.
5. Using a zester, top each vessel with some lemon zest.
6. Divide the herb mixture between the 5 dishes and sprinkle on top of the bechamel sauce.
7. Place puff pastry sheets on top of each vessel, cutting off any edges that may hang over.
8. Mix the egg with a splash of water to create an egg wash. Brush on top of each puff pastry.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
10. Let the pies rest a few minutes before serving-- they will be piping hot!
First Published: Mar 10, 2010 5:00 PM EST