Apolo Ohno Meatball Soup and Olympian Spaghetti Pie
Updated 1:10 PM EST, Wed, Feb 24, 2010
To view this video you must to have Flash Player 9.0 or later installed. Click to download the most recent version of Flash.
from The Scotto Family, Fresco by Scotto
Apolo Ohno Olympic Soup
For the Meatballs
1 pound chopped meat
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup cold water
1. To make the meatballs, place the chopped meat in a large bowl. 2. Add breadcrumbs, eggs, parsley, cheese, salt, and pepper. 3. Add the cold water and mix until all the ingredients are combined. 4. With wet cold hands, form the meatballs no larger than 1-inch in size (this should yield about 25 to 30 meatballs). Set aside.
For The Soup
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup diced onions
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
2 quarts chicken stock
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced zucchini
1 pound escarole washed and chopped
5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
salt to taste
Procedure 1. In a large stockpot, heat the oil on medium heat and sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the carrots, celery, onion and zucchini and reduce to medium heat. Simmer over a low heat covered for 1 hour.
3. Add the escarole and meatballs and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, add the cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
High Carb Olympian Spaghetti Pie
1 pound uncooked spaghetti
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 cup olive oil
2 pounds fresh tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and diced
1 pound smoked mozzarella, diced
1/2 cup chopped black olives
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup julienned fresh basil
21/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups all purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 whole eggplants, cut into 1-inch thick slices, floured and sautéed
2 cups tomato sauce
salt and pepper
10-inch spring form pan
4 tablespoons butter to line the sides and bottom of spring form pan
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, sauté the garlic in 1/2 cup olive oil until golden brown. Add the tomatoes, simmer for about 5 minutes, and season with salt and pepper.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the pasta, sautéed tomatoes, mozzarella, olives, eggs, basil, and 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
4. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, sauté the floured eggplants in 1/2 cup olive oil, cook on both sides until golden brown. Set aside, cool and dice.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place about 1/3 of the sautéed eggplants on the bottom of a 10-inch spring form pan.
6. Pour the pasta filling into the spring form pan and cover with the remaining sautéed eggplants. Sprinkle 1 cup of Parmesan cheese over the top.
7. Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Let rest for about 20 minutes.
8. Top with tomato sauce and the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, and serve.
First Published: Feb 17, 2010 5:45 PM EST