5 Meals to Lose 5 Pounds
Updated 1:47 PM EDT, Fri, May 13, 2011
To view this video you must to have Flash Player 9.0 or later installed. Click to download the most recent version of Flash.
How much weight will I lose?
2 to 5 pounds (depending upon how the person is currently eating)
Scrambled eggs (1 whole egg omega-3 enriched, 3 whites)
1 tsp dried basil
1 cup green tea
1 cup water with 1 oz lemon juice
• Contain protein - excellent to have at breakfast because it keeps you full throughout the day. This means fewer cravings and sets you up for a day in control.
• Omega-3 enriched - omega 3's are important for antiinflammation, helping burn fat, heart health and contain choline, which is important for healthy brain function.
• Herbs and spices are an easy, calorie-free way to increase flavor in meals to make food more satisfying.
• Green tea is rich in the antioxidant catechin, which may help burn fat.
• Buy green tea in small quantities because tea bags may lose up to 32% of its power in 6 months.
• Emotional component - Think about being at a spa. What will make you feel healthier a Diet Coke or water with lemon? Starting your day with lemon water helps instill this feeling.
• When properly hydrated, you are less likely to eat for the wrong reasons. Often, people eat when they are thirsty. Staying hydrated from the moment you wake up helps prevent this.
• Plus, being properly hydrated is the easiest way to give your skin a boost.
Sliced Granny Smith apple with 1 tsp cinnamon
Granny Smith apple
• 7100 ORAC points - green apples are very satisfying. Plus, you are getting some fiber.
Cinnamon - 1 tsp. 7000 ORAC points
• Helps control blood sugar and researchers have found that just the smell of it may help reduce stress.
4 oz Salmon
1 tsp oregano
Any flavored vinegars on spinach such as raspberry, fig.
Water with lemon
• 1300 ORAC points – helps you fill up for little calories.
• Protein is satisfying and salmon has the omega 3's I love.
3,600 ORAC points – Spices help with satiety and adds excitement to dishes for fewer calories.
Pecans - a wonderful high ORAC nut!
• Just this small portion is enough to give you ORAC boost and help provide satiety.
• Also, pecans contain plant sterols which help to lower cholesterol.
And of course, more water with lemon!
1 cup green tea
1 steamed artichoke or 1/2 cup artichoke hearts
• Artichokes are one of my absolute favorite foods. How fun are they to eat? Great for dieters because they are fun to eat and you can eat them slowly. 7,900 ORAC points.
• They contain compounds which may help lower cholesterol and act as an anti-inflammatory in the skin, making them a beauty food as well.
• Also, high in fiber.
Large romaine salad with carrots, red bell peppers, tomatoes and olive oil and lemon to dress it
4 oz lean protein
1 tsp oregano
water with lemon
1 cup blueberries
• Salad is easy low-cal way to fill up, but research also suggests that women who ate leafy greens had brains that were 1 to 2 years younger in performance than those who didn't. Smart girls eat greens or girls who eat greens are smart? Either way eat up! Plus this salad is packed with more ORAC punch with the colorful veggies.
• Most of us know about the healthy fat, but olive oil also has antioxidants in the form of polyphenols.
• 2,900 ORAC points – This veggie is high in folate, which is important for heart health.
• I always encourage 2 veggies (salad and another at dinner) to help fill you up and up antioxidants.
• Of course lean - we are dieting!
• Also, protein contains Co-Q10 which has antioxidant properties and helps with skin cell renewal.
Oregano – more of that bang for very little buck.
Blueberries - 9,700 ORAC points per cup.
• All berries rock! Blueberries get their power from the anthocyanins, which may lower LDL (bad) cholesterol, and the pectin, a fiber which helps keep you regular.
• Also, shown to boost memory and cognition.
It's not just about diet for the next 4 days.
We know we need the 2 cups of green tea and water but I also want you to…
• Sleep 7-8 hours - which is hard for many people to get in
• Pamper - focus on cleansing and moisturizing
• Destress - do something for you for 15 min each day
• Exercise 45 minutes
Promotional consideration provided by Smart Balance. This article is sponsored content and does not reflect the opinions of NBC Local News.
First Published: May 11, 2011 11:38 AM EDT