Greek Easter Recipes
Chef Zapantis prepares Greek Orthodox Easter feast.
Check out some delicious Greek recipes for your Easter table. Get more from Kellari Taverna.
GREEK RED EASTER EGGS
- 1 dozen eggs--organic, brown preferred
- 1 qt. dye
- 16 skins of Spanish onions
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 6 cups water
- In a stainless saucepan, bring all of the above ingredients to a simmer for an hour.
- Strain and cool for a day at room temperature.
Day 2 - Dye the Eggs
- In a stainless saucepan, add the eggs and the red dye and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and leave the eggs in the pot until desired color is reached.
Traditional Greek Easter Hot Appetizer
- Offal’s of lamb (Sweetbreads, Hearts, liver, call fat, lamb casings)
- Dry Oregano
- Olive oil
- Wash the Offal’s of the lamb very thoroughly and cut them in medium size pieces.
- Season with salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil.
- Start skewering the Sweetbreads, Hearts and Liver in the 18 inch iron skewer alternatively.
- Wrap the Kokoretsi with the cull fat and run the lamb casings until the whole skewer is covered.
- Kokoretsi must be preferably roast on a spit until fully cooked for about 1 ½ hrs or cook in a 400 degree oven for 1 ¾ hrs.
- When cooked allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Slice ½ inch rounds, season with dry oregano and serve.
OVEN-ROASTED LEG OF LAMB
- 1 leg of lamb, bone in (about 6 to 7 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 pc. cloves garlic
- 4 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pc. onion medium size
- 1 cup red wine
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using your hands, rub the lamb with the Extra virgin Olive Oil and lemon juice.
- Insert the garlic and the rosemary in the meat making small incisions evenly all over the surface of the meat.
- Season the meat with the salt and pepper and place the lamb in a roasting pan over the sliced onions and add the red wine .
- Place the lamb in the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F and continue to cook for about 1 hour longer for medium-rare, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the roast registers about 145 degrees.
- Remove the lamb from the oven and allow lamb to cool for 20 minutes before serving.