News4's Darcy Spencer reports on a tragic death after a child is strangled by a window cord in Suitland, MD.
A 6-year-old girl died Saturday after getting entangled in cords attached to window coverings in her Maryland home.
Prince George’s County Fire/EMS responded to a home in the 6700 block of Larkspur Road in Suitland, Md., and found a family member performing CPR on the girl. Paramedics took over the effort and transported the child to the hospital.
Despite their efforts, the child died shortly after arriving at the hospital.
Prince George’s County police are conducting an investigation, but early results show the child became entwined in the pull cords and was unconscious when discovered by a family member.
Last summer, a 3-year-old boy was saved by the quick actions of a Prince George's County police officer after the toddler became entangled in his home's window blinds.
Window blinds are one of the top hidden hazards in the home, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The commission says about once a month a child dies after becoming tangled in a window cord.
Strangulation by window covering strings and cords is an injury typically seen in children age 5 and under. Safe Kids Worldwide, a global organization dedicated to preventing injuries in children, recommends the following safety tips:
• Keep cords and strings, including those attached to window blinds, out of your child's reach. Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords.
• Use cordless blinds in homes with young children.
• Examine existing shades and blinds for exposed cords. Cords should be placed out of reach and furniture near the window should be moved.
• Install a tension device can also be installed on nylon cords to keep them taunt.
• If you live in an apartment building or home where you are not allowed to replace your window coverings, follow basic window cord safety rules and order free retrofit kits from the Window Covering Safety Council at www.windowcoverings.org.