U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has announced a $1.5 million grant to reimburse agencies that supported Newtown in the immediate aftermath of last year's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Holder said the state government will be in charge of distributing the money to agencies and organizations that provided help to first responders, victims' families and others affected by the tragedy.
"This funding will provide critical support to the brave women and men who responded to the devastating violence at Sandy Hook Elementary School, as well as the counselors and others who are helping the community to recover," Holder said in an e-mailed statement.
“Through this grant, and the additional funds that have already been provided to the Newtown Police Department and their law enforcement partners, we reaffirm our commitment to standing with the people of Newtown, the families of the victims, and all who are helping to bring help and healing to those affected by this heartbreaking tragedy," Holder said.
A gunman shot his way into the school on Dec. 14, 2012, and killed 20 children and six adults before taking his own life as police arrived. He also killed his mother earlier that day.
The grant from the Justice Department's Office for Victims of Crime marks the latest federal aid for Newtown.
In August, the U.S. government announced $2.5 million for police departments that responded to the shooting.