Town Heals and Remembers

Lawyer Withdraws $100M Suit Over Newtown

Tuesday, Jan 1, 2013  |  Updated 11:41 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
PHOTOS: Newtown School Shooting

AP

A poster written by children with the faces of some of the victims is among the many tributes at a memorial to the shooting victims in the Sandy Hook village of Newtown, Conn., Thursday, Dec. 20, 2012. Adam Lanza walked into Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Dec. 14, and opened fire, killing 26 people, including 20 children, before killing himself.(AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

A Connecticut attorney seeking to sue the state for $100 million over the Newtown school shootings on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor has withdrawn the claim -- at least for now.

The Stamford Advocate reports that Irving Pinsky withdrew the suit but says he might refile. He says he received new evidence on security at Sandy Hook Elementary School and is reviewing it.

Pinsky last week asked to sue the state, saying his client suffered "emotional and psychological trauma and injury." He says state officials failed to prevent his client from foreseeable harm.

The move to withdraw the claim came after Connecticut's attorney general said there appeared to be no basis to support Pinsky's request.

The Hartford Courant reported that Attorney General George Jepsen said Monday his office knows of "no facts or legal theory under which the State of Connecticut should be liable for causing the harms inflicted at Sandy Hook Elementary School."

Connecticut has immunity against most lawsuits unless it gives a party permission to sue.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
21st Century Solutions
The NBCUniversal Foundation is partnering... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out