A baby girl was welcomed into the world on a Southern California freeway Saturday morning when a woman went into labor in the backseat of her car in West Los Angeles.
The woman gave birth about 1 a.m. in the backseat of her Acura SUV, which was stopped on the closed Santa Monica Boulevard off ramp from the San Diego (405) Freeway, a news photographer reported from the scene.
The woman's husband took off his shirt and used it to swaddle the baby after he helped in the birth of his newborn daughter.
Video from the scene showed the shirtless dad in the backseat with his wife and child as firefighters arrived.
Firefighters could be seen examining the newborn inside of an ambulance before transporting both the baby and her mother to a hospital.
The newborn's grandparents and sibling were also in the car during the birth, the photographer reported.
More Southern California Stories:
- Undercover Sting Busts IE Prostitution Ring
- Magic Castle Swap Meet
- New Details Emerge About al-Qaida Support Suspect
- Archives Bazaar: All the LAs That Make LA
- Finding New Fire Chief Is "Matter of Life and Death"
- Day Care Teacher Killed During Recess
- Driver ID'd in Dramatic Fullerton Wreck
- Beltran Downs Dodgers In Game 1