National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Avonte Oquendo's Manner, Cause of Death Undetermined: Medical Examiner

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    The medical examiner's office has concluded that the cause and manner of Avonte Oquendo's death cannot be determined.

    The remains of 14-year-old Oquendo, a non-verbal autistic boy, were found along the East River in Queens in January. He had been missing since last October, when he bolted out of his Long Island City school.

    Video Shows Avonte Bolting Out School's Open Door

    [NY] Video Shows Avonte Bolting Out School's Open Door
    New video obtained by NBC 4 New York shows 14-year-old Avonte Oquendo bolting out a door left open by an adult at his Queens school the day he disappeared. Pei-Sze Cheng reports. (Published Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014)

    His disappearance launched a search that extended citywide and beyond, and captured the attention of the nation.

    Oquendo's family has "mixed emotions" over the medical examiner's conclusion, according to lawyer David Perecman.

    Family, Friends Gather for Funeral of Avonte Oquendo

    [NY] Family, Friends Gather for Funeral of Avonte Oquendo
    Friends and family gathered at the funeral for Avonte Oquendo, a 14-year-old autistic boy who was last seen alive running out of his school. Sheldon Dutes reports. (Published Sunday, Jan 26, 2014)

    "The results themselves are mixed. It means we don't know when Avonte went in the water," he said on Thursday. "We don't know if he was alive when he went in the water, we don't know if he wasn't." 

    "It's not the closure they hoped for," he added.

    WATCH: Avonte Bolts Out of School

    [NY] NEW VIDEO Shows Avonte Bolting Out of School's Open Door
    New video obtained by NBC 4 New York shows 14-year-old Avonte Oquendo bolting out a door left open by an adult at his Queens school the day he disappeared. Watch the video here. (Published Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014)

    Perecman filed a notice of claim in October, the first step in suing the city, and has publicly listed a number of mistakes he alleges contributed to the boy's disappearance and what he has described as a flawed search effort. 
     
    The city's law department has called the boy's death a tragedy and said its attorneys will review a lawsuit when it's filed.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytimeiPhone/iPad App | Twitter | Facebook | Email Newsletters Send Us News Tips | Google+ | Instagram | RSS