Garment Salesman Indicted in Brooklyn Merchant Deaths
Salvatore Perrone faces life in prison if convicted
In this early Saturday, July 7, 2012 photo, authorities investigate the crime scene where clothing store owner Mohamed Gebeli was killed inside Valentino Fashion in the Bay Ridge neighborhood in the Brooklyn borough of New York. The same gun that killed Gebeli was also used in the murders of two other shopkeepers, according to police, with the latest victim being fatally shot Friday, Nov. 16, 2012, in Brooklyn's Flatbush neighborhood. (AP Photo/David Boe)
A grand jury has indicted a garment salesman accused of systematically shooting three shopkeepers to death as they worked alone in their Brooklyn clothing stores.
The Brooklyn District Attorney's office says Staten Island resident Salvatore Perrone was indicted Tuesday on three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of second-degree murder.
He faces life in prison without parole if convicted of the top counts.
The 64-year-old Perrone was arrested last week. Police say they recovered a bag containing a sawed-off rifle believed to have been used in the killings. They say Perrone appeared on surveillance footage carrying the bag moments after the most recent shooting on Nov. 16.
The other killings happened in July and August. Authorities have given no motive for the Brooklyn shootings.
A defense lawyer says Perrone denies killing anyone.
Copyright Associated Press