Damaged Trains Removed from Connecticut Wreck Site

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    AP

    The transit agency that runs the Metro-North commuter rail line says trains damaged in a Friday crash in Connecticut are being removed in the first step to making repairs and restoring service.

    Aaron Donovan, spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, says the trains will be removed Sunday. The National Transportation Safety Board, which is investigating, gave Metro-North the OK to remove the trains.
    As of 8 a.m., thirteen cars had been removed and the remaining three cars were expected to be removed by early afternoon.
    Later Sunday, the Connecticut Department of Transportation will announce jointly with Metro-North a plan for the rush-hour commute beginning Monday.
    Metro-North Railroad President Howard Permut said crews working around-the-clock over multiple days will rebuild two thousand feet of damaged track, and overhead wires and signal system. He anticipated service disruptions on the damaged section of the New Haven line to continue into the week.
    Investigators are looking at a broken section of rail to see if it is connected to the derailment and collision outside Bridgeport that left dozens injured.
    Seventy-two people were sent to the hospital Friday evening after an eastbound train from New York City derailed and was hit by a westbound train. Nine remain hospitalized.

    Officials Assess "Staggering Damage" After Metro-North Crash

    [NY] Officials Assess "Staggering Damage" After Metro-North Crash
    Officials described a devastating scene of shattered cars and other damage where two Metro-North trains packed with rush-hour commuters collided in Connecticut, saying Saturday it's fortunate no one was killed. Erika Tarantal has more. (Published Sunday, May 19, 2013)

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytimeiPhone/iPad App | Twitter | Facebook | Email Newsletters Send Us News Tips | Google+ | Instagram | RSS