Patz Family Surprised, Overwhelmed by Arrest: NYPD

Pedro Hernandez, 51, was arrested after he confessed to strangling Etan Patz to death, police say

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Police made an arrest in the case of Etan Patz, more than 30 years after the boy disappeared from his SoHo home. Investigators spoke about the family's reaction. Andrew Siff reports. (Published Friday, May 25, 2012)

    The NYPD lieutenant who informed Etan Patz's family that an arrest was made in the 33-year unsolved case of their missing son said the boy's father was surprised and overwhelmed, but handled the information "very well."

    "I don't know if you would call this good news, I think it would just be considered another piece of the puzzle," Lt. Chris Zimmerman said at the Thursday press conference where the NYPD announced the arrest of Pedro Hernandez, 51, of Maple Shade, N.J., in the case that had gone unsolved since 1979.

    Police say Hernandez confessed to luring 6-year-old Patz from the bus stop into a bodega where he worked with the promise of a soda before choking him to death in the basement. Police Commissioner Ray Kelly did not say whether Hernandez had a lawyer.

    Kelly said Hernandez told the NYPD that he put Patz's body in a plastic bag and disposed of it in the trash.

    NYPD Announces Arrest in 1979 Cold Case

    [NY] RAW: NYPD Announces Arrest in 1979 Killing of Etan Patz
    NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly announced the arrest of Pedro Hernandez, 51, who police say confessed to killing Etan Patz 33 years ago. (Published Friday, May 25, 2012)

    Hernandez was questioned after the Missing Persons Squad received a tip from someone who remembered Hernandez speaking of having "done a bad thing" and said he killed a child in New York.

    The exhaustive search for Patz was renewed several weeks ago when police dug up the basement of a handyman's workshop near where Patz disappeared. A new layer of concrete had been laid over the foundation of the basement shortly after the boy vanished.

    That search yielded no new evidence, but coverage of the investigation reminded the tipster of Hernandez's conversation, Kelly said.

    Kelly said the Patz family was kept informed as the most recent case developed. Zimmerman said he was concerned for Stan Patz's feelings and was glad to tell him the news of an arrest.

    "I didn't want to upset him any more than he may have been," Zimmerman said.

    The Patz family never left their SoHo home or changed their phone number after their boy disappeared.

    They have endured decades of false leads, and a lack of hard evidence.     

    Stan Patz had his son declared legally dead in 2001 so he could sue Jose Ramos, a drifter and onetime boyfriend of Patz's baby sitter who remained a longtime possible suspect. He has never been criminally charged with the boy's death and denies harming the boy. A civil judge in 2004 found Ramos to be responsible for the child's death.

    He is in prison in Pennsylvania on a separate case.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Get our apps here and sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.