WTC Victim ID'd, 10 Years After Attack

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Amy Dreher

    Forensic technicians have identified another set of human remains found in the rubble of the World Trade Center, nearly a decade after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

    The office of New York City's medical examiner announced Tuesday that it had successfully matched a set of remains to 40-year-old Ernest James of New York, who had been assumed dead in the twin towers' collapse.

    James was identified within the last few days through DNA testing, a spokeswoman said. He worked for the professional services firm Marsh & McLennan Companies, which lost more than 350 employees and consultants that day.

    James' fiancée, Monique Keyes, said he was a native New Yorker and had been working in information technology at the company for about six years. He worked the night shift and would normally call her every morning at the end of his shift.

    "When I couldn't reach him, I pretty much, deep inside, knew," Keyes said in a phone interview Tuesday with The Associated Press.

    James had worked on an upper floor of the North Tower, the first building struck by a hijacked plane and the second tower to collapse. Keyes said he was outgoing and family-oriented.

    "He just loved to make you laugh," she said of the Harlem resident.

    Ten years later, she said the news brought some measure of closure.

    To date, authorities have identified the remains of 1,629 victims. Nearly 2,800 people died at the trade center on 9/11.

    The medical examiner's office says it will continue testing remains.