Verizon Fined in Brooklyn Electrocution

Douglas LaLima was working in a lift bucket while installing cables when he came into contact with a power line in September of last year

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012  |  Updated 8:20 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Weird News Photos: Easter Egg Tree

Getty Images

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

Verizon has been fined more than $140,000 for safety violations in connection with the electrocution of a technician in Brooklyn.

Douglas LaLima was working in a lift bucket while installing cables when he came into contact with a power line in September of last year.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration found that the bucket was too close to the power line and that LaLima lacked insulation gloves and had not been adequately trained.

Verizon spokesman John Bonomo said the company does not believe the death was the result of Verizon failing to follow any OSHA safety requirements. He says Verizon "goes to excruciating detail" to make sure its employees have proper training and working tools.

OSHA announced the fine on Monday. Bonomo says Verizon plans to appeal.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Follow us on Instagram!
We post photos taken by our news... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out