Police are searching for a gray-haired burglar who breaks into homes on the Upper East Side through the fire escapes, they say.
The burglar has gotten away with jewelry and electronics, casually walking out the front door of the buildings as if he's a resident.
Surveillance images from two of the burglaries show the man leaving with a backpack.
He's wanted in five burglaries in the following areas:
- East 80th Street and Second Avenue on Friday, Aug. 31 at about 7 a.m.
- East 92nd Street and Third Avenue on Thursday, Sept. 5 at about 8 a.m.
- East 86th Street and First Avenue on Tuesday, Sept. 10 at about 4:50 p.m.
- East 81st Street and Second Avenue on Thursday, Sept. 12 at about 9 p.m.
- East 74th Street and Third Avenue on Monday, Sept. 16 at about 7:20 a.m.
The man is also wanted in an attempted burglary.
No one was home at the time of the burglaries.
Neighbors are being warned to keep their windows locked.
"It's very scary, in this day and age," said Kevin Minihan. "God knows what could happen if you're home and he comes in."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS.